TU 34: Treating Attachment Disruptions in Adults With David Elliott
IN THIS EPISODE:
Treating Attachment Disruptions in Adults With David Elliott
We knew we had to interview Dr. Elliott upon finding his book, Attachment Disturbances in Adults, Treatment for Comprehensive Repair(2016). It immediately became Sue’s current favorite read and that is saying a lot!
We cover quite a lot in this podcast, especially about treatment, but if that still isn’t enough, these show notes are PACKED with PDF’s of great material offered by Dr. Elliott! Below you will find 4 full PDF handouts about the salient ideas of their synthesis of treatment for adults with attachment disruptions.
In today’s episode you will hear about why attachment matters, background thoughts on insecurity and prevalence, brand new (to the US) and updated attachment research and then we mostly focus on how to apply all this knowledge with clients with attachment issues, and ourselves.
Dr. Elliott introduces our audience to the 3 Pillars of Comprehensive Treatment: Ideal Parent Protocol, Metacognition and Fostering Collaborative Capacity. While he touches on them all, please download the 4 PDF attachments provided below, and start by reviewing the Overview. If for any reason you have trouble getting them, contact us and we will shoot them over to you!
- Overview of the Three Pillars Model of Attachment Treatment (Brown & Elliott, 2016)
- The Five Primary Conditions that Promote Secure Attachment (Brown & Elliott, 2016)
- Levels of Metacognitive Skills (Brown & Elliott, 2016)
- Fostering Collaborative Capacity and Behavior (Brown & Elliott, 2016)
We were SO impressed with the freshness and comprehensive synthesis of their ideas that we are collaborating with Dr. Elliott to come to Austin to present this model in person! We are finalizing dates and co-sponsors for a full Advanced Clinical Studies conference for mental health clinicians as we speak…. so stay tuned for this exciting official announcement.
Therapist Uncensored Online Course – Reserve your spot now!
In addition if you enjoyed this, we will be providing much more from a synthesis of the latest and greatest ideas out there for intervention, prevention and clinical work for those of us that didn’t come by secure relating in the old-fashioned way, from parents.
For those that are having to work to earn it or who treat people with attachment insecurities, we have an online course coming up soon. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve your slot and we will send you more details of the course as it unveils.
Additional resources for this episode:
- Daniel Brown, co-author of Attachment Disturbances in Adults This is his current website, which focuses on his meditation and spiritual development activities.
- Attachment Disturbances in Adults Treatment for Comprehensive Repair (2016) Daniel Brown andDavid Elliott
- Clinical Application of the Adult Attachment Interview Edited by Howard Steele and Mariam Steele Our favorite clinical reference for those that want to learn much more deeply about using the AAI to treat attachment and learn about its usefulness with various populations.
- Video of Strange Situation to familiarize yourself with Mary Ainsworth and later Mary Main’s phenomenal work.
- These and other resources have been collected for you on our Resources page!