IN THIS EPISODE:
Episode 7: What is Group Therapy and 5 Reasons You Should Try It
- Group therapy is often stereotyped and definitely overlooked as a way to deal with challenges in your life, this episode goes into this is a fun way
- It offers a chance to experiment with real emotions and aspects of your life.
- It helps you notice issues and habitual patterns in your life
- You can try different responses and different behaviors in group that you might not feel comfortable doing in your everyday life and relationships.
- The other people in the group can offer a variety of different views and perspectives to help you work through things.
- You can say things honestly to others with the knowledge that everyone will return next week, and you can continue to work through difficulties.
- Group provides you with a sense of community and belonging. It can really help with issues of social isolation.
- Group can provide stability that is not always present in personal life.
- Group is relatively low compared to other therapy, and it can last for longer.
Additional resources for this episode:
- Austin Group Psychotherapy Society: Organization that promotes group therapy and provides training for clinicians
- American Group Psychotherapy Association: National organization that promotes group therapy as a cost effective and clinical valuable treatment.
- Psychodynamic Group Psychotherapy Scott Rutan Walter Stone and Joseph Shay. These are masters of group. Excellent text for therapists and others eager to learn about group. You can trust these authors.
- These and other resources have been collected for you on our Resources page!